The Obstacle Course

Sound advice! I have had all of these and then some. However as I ponder more of this, it is true.
I first began writing a novel 16 years ago and put it away. Forgot all about it. I wrote poetry and short stories instead. I loved to read as well, but it wasnt until recent that I became addicted to a couple of author’s and their creative series. That was all I did…read. Many sleepless nights, several missed meals and calls. I fell in love with their ideas and my creative mind began to come alive once again. I dug out my old book and read it again. I liked what I had written, I even added some things but I had so many other ideas that were pouring out I set it aside amd created another storyline. I have only about 40,000 words and have completely stopped writing. I found myself going back over again and again. making edits and I had to stop. If I keep doing this, it will never get finished. I even created a synopsis to a different story (which you can find on my site as well) because yet another story began pushing around in my head. Then I read this blog and I thought to myself, what have I done differently? What am I not doing? And there it was..I stopped reading. I was so caught up in stressing myself out to finish my book, buying a hundred dollars worth of books like “The writer’s block”, “What not to write” and “The little red writing book” that I forgot how I got started.
Where the books I purchased are great tools they only added to the predicament I was in. They were reminders of me being stuck. I even purchased art books searching for inspiration. Dont get me wrong these purchases are not in vain. I love the creative life and I love books, art and music so they will be well used. But I should have realized it was my love of reading, entering other creative worlds and losing myself in their stories that stirred my own creativity and need to write. So that is what I shall be doing. I have hundreds of books sitting in my kindle just waiting to be read. ;)

Follow the link below for the full story

https://stormramblings.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/the-obstacle-course/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog